Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010!

What a decade.

When this decade started, I was nine years old at my sister's godmother's house. We had played with noisemakers, sang All Star by Smash Mouth into the microphone, and I cried when the ball dropped, half out of fear for the end of the world (remember the Y2K virus?) and half out of the realization that an entire millennium was gone.

When this decade ended, just last night, I was nineteen years old (celebrated my birthday on Wednesday!). I was sitting in front of my mother's laptop with my sister, my boyfriend, and my best friend. I didn't cry; I cheered and sent out a mass text to my friends, wishing them a happy new year.

A recap, from years 2000-2009?
-I traveled the furthest away from my family. I went to Ecuador in 2005 with my middle school on a trip to research the rain forest and to bring medical and school supplies to the indigenous children of the rain forest.
-I made and lost two best friends; first Caroline, then Katie. I realized I couldn't limit myself to one bff; I'm just not that kind of girl. And especially not when they expect me to ONLY hang out with them. Nuh-uh.
-I started and finished high school, and I started college. I started my 'life', I suppose. I figured out what I want out of it. And here it is: I want to be a psychologist. Taaa-daaaa!

Those, I think, are the major ones. But hey! I think I'm ready for a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment